Monday, February 11, 2013

Post #5 Survivors

Okay people, for this blog post I will be writing a response to the short story Survivors. My first reaction to the story was that I was impressed. The author used words to create a lot of vivid imagery. I like the one part in particular where he describes his lover's family. Not only does he describe them excellently, he does it in a way that also describes the hardships his lover had faced. That really impressed me and left me wanting to read more.

On another note, I didn't like the story entirely. I couldn't get over the fact that the narrator in the story was so worried about having to deal with his lover's death and his lover's family. He even goes as far to say please let me die first. To me, this is extremely selfish. He never once in story acknowledges how his lover might feel if he were to die first. That's just something I can't agree with.

In closing, the short story Survivors left me with mixed emotions. On one hand, I really liked the descriptive words. They really made the story come alive and kept me interested. However, I really don't like the narrator's attitude. I feel like he's selfish and is only thinking of himself. Nevertheless, the story is certainly interesting and deserves to read.    

1 comment: